JOB TITLE: Large Animal Caretaker I/II Bethesda, MD
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Work Assignments are based on work requirements to meet the contract needs, which may include the following duties:
- Assure that procedures and practices involving the program of animal care are appropriate for the continued maintenance of AAALAC accreditation of NIH facilities.
- Adhere to security procedures and confidentiality requirements. Assist, when requested, in experimental planning and logistics/scheduling of projects. Ensure adherence of contract personnel to established NIH SOPs.
- Participate in the ongoing employee training program, with special emphasis on safety and health training, safe work practices, and use of personal protective equipment.
- Perform job tasks/duties in compliance with NIH policies, regulations, safety, and security procedures. Perform work in compliance with applicable safety requirements.
- Adhere to equipment sanitation and sterilization schedules. Assure that records, log books, and other project records are appropriately and contemporaneously maintained. Comply with the QA/QC program. Recommend changes in operational procedures that might increase the efficiency or effectiveness of work procedures or practices.
- Observe and report any abnormalities in animals, equipment, or facilities to their floor supervisor or the On-Site Supervisor. Perform husbandry, restraint, and environmental monitoring tasks in accordance with established NIH SOPs. Weekend and holiday work hours are required as necessary to meet operational needs of the work site.
- All other duties as assigned.
- One-year experience in a laboratory animal facility desired. Formal education shall include a minimum of a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Animal Caretakers are expected to achieve certification from the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level within 1 year of eligibility.
- Animal Caretakers shall have demonstrated knowledge and skill in handling animals housed within the facility, especially NHP, Marmosets, Thirteen Lined Ground Squirrels and Rabbits.
|Job Category||Animal Care Technician|